Can you Object to a Land Tax Assessment?

How is land tax determined and can I object to the value of land tax assessment?

Land tax is calculated on the site value of all taxable land a person owned at midnight on 31 December in each calendar year. Land tax assessment valuations are determined every year as part of the general valuation process and valuation figures are used to determine your land tax. Valuations are done by municipal councils or by the Valuer-General. The State Revenue Office receives all valuations and it calculates land tax. If the residential land is vacant in inner and middle Melbourne for more than six months in a calendar year, then it is vacant residential land tax.

You can object to the taxable value or site value of land in your land tax assessment or the taxable value or capital improved value of land in your vacant residential tax assessment. You must object within two months of receiving your council Rates and Valuations Notice or Land Tax Assessment Notice.

Your objection will be first assessed by the relevant authority that conducted your valuation. For example, if you think the valuation in your rates notice is too high, you would need to object to your local council. In more complex matters, where dimensions of the land are not correct or where a wrong person is recorded on the notice of valuation, you would need to object to State Revenue Office.

It is important to note you should pay your land tax on time even after you have lodged your objection. You can pay your land tax either in full or by instalments. If you do not pay your land tax, daily interest will accrue on overdue amounts.

We can provide you with advice and we can assist you to lodge your objection to land tax assessment.

If you would like assistance, please contact Wollerman Shacklock Lawyers on 9707 1155 or

Wollerman Shacklock Lawyers © 2020